Are there pronounced regional accents in France
The most important words for a trip to France
The origin of French
The French language became the official language in France in the 16th century. Before that (as was common in most European countries at the time) Latin was the language of the powerful and the administration. The reason for this was the influence of the Roman Empire and the Catholic Church in Europe. At the time, French coexisted with the regional languages that were widely spoken at the time.
The regional languages are often viewed as dialects or vernaculars and are not widely used today. However, these languages are recognized at national level, admitted as living languages in exams such as the Abitur, and also taught in schools. Currently, the most widely spoken and mastered regional languages are Breton (a Celtic language), Basque (in south-western France), Corsican (on the Isle of Beauty) and Alsatian (a language derived from German). In these regions, the signs with the names of the cities in both French and local are a reminder of the existence of these regional languages.
The Creole language is still spoken in the overseas regions, but in different variations depending on the island.
In France there are many regions in which there is a more or less strong and pronounced dialect. These dialects have their origins in the regional languages spoken before the introduction of French as the national language. Sometimes the (very) pronounced dialects in certain regions are difficult to understand, even for the French!
The south of France, Marseille and the regions bordering the Mediterranean Sea are known for their melodious accent, which is often associated with the sun and the sea and is very characteristic of this region. In the northern region, the often mocked Ch'timi was made in 2008 by the film Bienvenue chez les Ch'tis famous beyond the borders of France. The Alsatian dialect spoken in eastern France is closer to the German language, but varies depending on the place.
- Why do the kidneys fail
- Doctor Who TV series Who is Missy
- What should boys know about a relationship
- How do you treat severe road rash
- What do the French think of Pakistan?
- Did you lose your children in a divorce?
- Which country is the most sexually permissive?
- How are your grades in school
- What is the richest part of Spain
- Are relationship compatibility DNA tests legitimate?
- Sleeping pills really help you sleep
- What are some meaningful historical photos
- How do I sell a house privately
- How powerful is shame in Chinese culture
- What is the coldest city in Australia
- You should post pictures on social media
- What color are Greeks
- What sciatica treatments have worked for you
- What's the worst part about freelance work
- What would India be without Telangana?
- How do I find international clothing buyers
- What is a number system
- Are there UK remote job boards
- Which country has the easiest immigration policy?
- Can I take Plaquenil with hemp oil
- How can intelligent people be racist
- Am i a gamer
- How do companies work in tax havens
- Is Amitabh Bachchan nice to people
- Do senior abuse lawyers work on contingencies
- What is leadership and decision making
- Who are India's Top 10 CEOs
- What's the biggest hypocrisy you've seen lately