Is Tomyris Turkish or Iranian
Who was Cyrus the Great?
Cyrus as the savior of Judaism
Judaism is the oldest still practiced monotheistic religion, whose roots go back to the second millennium BC. Go back BC. There was nothing more important to the Jews than their faith, which was based on a covenant between them and their God. The story of this special connection is told in the Torah - the first five books of the Hebrew Bible.
According to the Torah, God promised his chosen people, the Israelites, the land of Canaan. They founded the Kingdom of Judah and established it around the year 1000 BC. Jerusalem as its capital. The great temple in Jerusalem was built around 587 BC. Destroyed by King Nebuchadnezzar II. After Cyrus killed the Jews in 538 BC. After being freed from exile in Babylon, they returned to Jerusalem to rebuild their temple.
The Lydian King Croesus
The Kingdom of Lydia in Asia Minor also belonged to the more numerous conquests of Cyrus. Few ancient rulers were considered as wealthy as their king Croesus. In his empire there were large deposits of electrum, a natural alloy of gold and silver. From this he made coins - a practice that began around a century before Croesus' rule around 560 BC. In Lydia and Greece. His wealth made him legendary.
According to the Greek historian Herodotus, Croesus once met the Athenian statesman Solon and asked him if money made people happy. Solon replied: "Those who call great riches are no closer to happiness than those who have what they need for daily life." Herodotus saw Croesus' defeat against Cyrus as proof that wealth did not guarantee a fulfilled life.
The article was originally published in English on NationalGeographic.com.
- Is it worth hiring a lawyer
- What exactly do engineering firms do
- Whole bread is healthier than rye bread
- Horror genre Why are skeletons so scary
- What are the hidden costs of attending school
- Is TOEFL exam is tough
- What do Indonesians think of Bolivia
- Cheating women on bachelorette parties
- What is the I generation
- How do the Chinese relatives work
- How will climate change affect Hong Kong?
- Which Asian countries influenced Greece
- How do you get cashback from Ebates
- What makes people more successful than others
- What do Americans think of Australia?
- There is still slavery
- What is the reason for the lack of social skills
- What would a technocracy look like
- How can I be rich in Australia
- Is Chinese food expensive in America
- What is the scope of construction management
- How can I easily solve trigonometry identities
- What was your greatest spiritual experience
- What is gentrification