How do I get government contracts
"Secret War": NDR and Süddeutsche Zeitung make 300,000 US government contracts transparent
Billions of dollars for ammunition, military research and lunch: From now on, all Internet users can see where the USA spends this money in Germany. Norddeutsche Rundfunk and Süddeutsche Zeitung are researching the "Secret War" series, making transparent more than 300,000 orders that US government institutions have placed in Germany over the past twelve years. For this purpose, a US government database was journalistically sorted and made searchable.
In this way, users can go from being observed to being observer: details of the around 300,000 orders can be viewed and searched through the website www.geheimerkrieg.de (http://www.geheimerkrieg.de/#order database). The Berlin company OpenDataCity prepared the database of an American registry for government contracts on behalf of NDR and SZ. The data was pre-sorted in terms of content - entries unrelated to Germany were removed and a search function was programmed.
The basis is the so-called "Federal Procurement Data System" (FPDS), a central collection point for government orders. Since there is a fundamentally different understanding of transparency in the United States, there are usually many documents and contracts on the Internet - including the data of the FPDS. Once the state signs a contract with a company or organization that is worth at least $ 3,000, details about the deal are entered in the database. The orders noted there are theoretically freely accessible, but technical restrictions have prevented a simple evaluation so far. For example, it was only possible to query a period of a maximum of five years. On www.geheimerkrieg.de certain keywords are also linked to locations so that the orders can be assigned to them.
Not every company that is listed in the database therefore has to be a partner of secret services and the military. This is shown, for example, by surprising database finds such as receipts from an automobile club for towing and maintenance services or invoices for several pallets of energy drinks. American soldiers and government employees buy and consume like everyone else - orders for cleaning supplies appear as well as for tank ammunition.
Since November 14th, the Norddeutsche Rundfunk and the Süddeutsche Zeitung have been reporting in the joint series "Secret War" about how the US military and the American and British secret services control the fight against terrorism from Germany. The results of the research are presented in multimedia form on the website www.kreterkrieg.de and are published in the radio program NDR Info, in the first, on NDR television and in the Süddeutsche Zeitung and on the SZ and NDR websites.
On November 28th, Das Erste will be showing a themed evening on the "Secret War". It starts at 9.45 pm with the NDR magazine "Panorama", followed by "Beckmann", followed by the documentary "Dirty Wars" at midnight in German for the first time. On Tuesday, December 3rd, at 9 pm, "Panorama - die Reporter" will report on the "Secret War" on NDR television. NDR employee Christian Fuchs and "Panorama" reporter John Goetz have also published the book "Secret War" in Rowohlt-Verlag.
November 26, 2013 / IB
NDR press and information
press (at) ndr.de
- How is your extramarital love relationship going?
- How do VC companies collect their funds
- What are the future prospects of ACCA
- Turkish girls meet with non-Turkish men
- What is the national dish of Afghanistan
- Real life is boring
- Who is the strongest human superhero
- What are Nigerians good at
- What was your most uncomfortable humiliating situation
- Regret owning a dog
- Is the US better than India?
- What are dried psychedelic mushrooms
- Ruined the connection culture relationships
- How is trigonometry used in physics
- Is Chandler Bing gay
- What caused the 2008 crash
- What is your dream of life
- English is India's first language
- Why is Bleach such a great anime
- How does religion affect a country?
- Narcissistic siblings steal from you
- What could possibly ruin Quora
- Construction workers get health insurance
- Can I learn to feel my brain
- How do you think of Koreans
- Australia has states
- Can Cancer Patients Build Muscle?
- Why can't I feel my prayer salad?
- You can buy google reviews
- Can I get a Python intern job
- What's higher than a caregiver
- Is civil engineering civil
- How do I become a graphic engineer