How much information is enough
Always Enough Storage: How much iPhone storage space makes sense
How much storage space do you need in the iPhone?
Would you like a little more or do you use the storage capacity sparingly? Basically, this question depends on many factors that should influence your selection so that you do not suffer from a lack of memory after purchase or, on the contrary, still have too much memory left, so that the smaller memory would have been enough.
After all, this amounts to 100 euros and more for the various iPhone models if you opt for more storage space. In order to make this decision, we would like to be at your side with good advice.
Check your current memory usage!
If you have already received a message that your memory is already low or a software update was not possible for this reason, you should definitely choose a higher memory option on the next iPhone.
Otherwise, it is also worth taking a look at the memory consumption. To do this, open the settings and tap on “General”. Then select the "Info" entry. Here you can quickly check your current capacity as well as the remaining memory available. If less than 5 GB is still available, we recommend a higher storage option.
Up to around 10 GB an upgrade can make sense, as the data is usually not less, but rather more. If more than 10 GB are available, you can rest assured that you can use the same storage capacity.
- Available memory is less than 5 GB: upgrade is necessary
- The available memory is between 5 GB and 10 GB: an upgrade is recommended, but only necessary to a limited extent
- Available memory is more than 10 GB: no upgrade necessary
Do you want to replace your camera with the iPhone?
In recent years it has become clear again and again that the iPhone has replaced conventional digital cameras for many users. Apple has worked on optimizing storage, but photos and videos still take up a lot of space - especially if you're shooting in 4K at 60 frames per second.
Here, a recorded minute of video material costs you a whopping 400 MB. Alternatively, of course, memory can be saved by using a lower resolution and frame rate. If you are not outsourcing the recordings to iCloud, the storage requirements can increase rapidly.
In this case, you should plan generously. In an emergency, you can move a part to iCloud via “Settings> Photos> Optimize iPhone storage”, but that again costs a monthly fee.
Are you going to install a lot of games & apps on iPhone?
Games are one of the biggest memory hogs on the new devices. These can take up between 100 MB and several gigabytes and then continue to grow with increasing game time and update. For example, a PUBG needs at least 2 Gb, while Fortnite initially gets by with 152 MB.
If you are a big player, then it is advisable to ask the App Store about the memory size when choosing the storage option. The approximate storage capacity can always be found under the ratings under "Information".
Would you like to use your device for the long term?
Will you only use the iPhone for two years and then order a new device with more memory as part of a contract extension or do you want to use it longer until, for example, the software support is discontinued? As a rule, a lot of data and of course data garbage accumulate over time.
Many users are very comfortable here and leave the storage management to the iPhone. Therefore, you should always plan a little more storage space for long-term use than you seem to need at the moment.
Basically, the requirement for the choice of memory differs from user to user. If you currently only rarely take photos or play games with your iPhone, this is unlikely to change in the future. Smartphone newbies, on the other hand, should consider these factors and weigh up whether more storage space makes sense.
In addition, there are a large number of users who occasionally take photos or videos, but otherwise only use their smartphone for messaging, surfing the Internet or making calls. In this case, most of them will get by with the smallest memory, which is now 32 GB (iPhone 7), while newer devices even offer 64 GB as a minimum.
Apple EarPods with Lightning connector
Popular content from Mac Life +
- How much do sports management graduates earn
- People can have nightly adjustments
- What is absolute spirit
- What is the profit margin on electronics
- What do people think of Suriname
- What does yee yee
- Which MBTI type would Izuku Midoriya be?
- A diploma in hotel management is helpful
- How were the Victorian values and morals
- Why should we eat eggs with yolks?
- Who is smarter? A scientist or a philosopher
- Is Wicca a recognized religion
- What is an example of failure
- What are the uses of C programming
- Why does Japan not allow dual citizenship?
- What drugs are really helpful to society
- Why not amputate your paraplegic legs?
- How do you end a relationship gracefully
- Why is America bad at first
- How did your first relationship start?
- What are some Telugu words you need to know
- Why can't trains go uphill?
- Why are the wealthiest countries cold
- Can iPhones get overloaded