Eating rabbit onions

This question comes up again and again when a rabbit is plagued by intestinal or skin parasites or when it has high blood glucose levels.

It is known that many animal species develop hemolitic anemia or anaphylactic reaction (shock) after consuming onions (cats, sheep, dogs, horses, cattle). The fact that herbivores develop hemolysis is interesting in connection with rabbits. All of them actually have bacteria in their rumen or in the caecum. It is believed that these bacteria are active in the development of the hemolytic reaction (proven in sheep).

An anaphalactic reaction appears to be possible in rabbits, but the scientific publication on this subject unfortunately cannot be found.

It is also known that onions produce an immunodepressant effect in rabbits. This is reason enough not to feed rabbits onions.

Additional Information:

Chisty MM, Quddus R, Islam B, Khan BR. Effect of onion extract on immune response in rabbits. Bangladesh Med Res Counc Bull. 1996 Aug; 22 (2): 81-5.

Selim HM, Yamato O, Tajima M, Maede Y. Rumen bacteria are involved in the onset of onion-induced hemolytic anemia in sheep. J Vet Med Sci. 1999 Apr; 61 (4): 369-74.

Vyas DS, Acharya RP, Dadhich AP, Godhwani JL, Purohit VS. Effect of Allium cepa (onion) on immune response in rabbit. Indian J Physiol Pharmacol. 1983 Jul-Sep; 27 (3): 259-60.