Gods hear our voice
Acoustic reconstructionTo 3000 Years – a voice For the mummy
Researchers have given the mummy of an Egyptian priest a voice. We can hear exactly one sound from Nesyamun today.
A British team of researchers has reconstructed the voice of an Egyptian priest who died 3,000 years ago - more precisely, a vowel-like sound.
For this purpose, archaeologists, doctors and electrical engineers from various British universities have measured the Nesyamun vocal machine and recreated it in a 3D printer. They then connected this artificial larynx to a loudspeaker and brought the priest's voice back to life. The journal Nature has published its research report.
Vocal apparatus in good condition
The priest lived in the 11th century BC, at the time of Ramses XI. His mummy has been in a museum in Leeds, UK for almost 200 years and is also known as The Leeds Mummy. With the help of a computer tomograph, the researchers previously checked the state of preservation of the mummy in 2016.
The prerequisite was that even after 3000 years the larynx and throat of the corpse were still well enough to be measured at all. Our voice is created in this area of the body and its sound is determined, reports Deutschlandfunk-Nova reporter Meike Rosenplänter.
"If the larynx and throat had disintegrated too much, the researchers would not have been able to reconstruct what the priest sounded like."
On the priest's coffin is written the wish that his soul should be forever well, that it should move freely and address the gods, as the deceased did during his lifetime.
From this, one of the researchers today deduced that the reconstruction of the voice was in the sense of the deceased. This is what David Howard, the electrical engineer involved in the project, said.
- What are the archetypes of an INTP
- Low blood pressure makes you thin
- This shy Japanese likes me
- Can one girl make another girl pregnant?
- What is the former name of Turkey
- What is a piston stroke
- Should older people do stretching
- What happens when a person eats coal?
- Are you a dangerous person
- How much do top gun pilots earn
- How can trade deals affect a country
- According to the Bible what is death
- Why is Portugal losing people
- Why are fish known for their temperament
- Is Switzerland a poor country?
- How can public investment catalyze private investment
- What do Filipinos eat at Christmas?
- Is working in BPO useful
- What do liberal Canadians think of Americans?
- Was the Eurofighter jet plane a failure
- If F 35 is detected by the radar
- What is the best potato recipe
- Which places serve the biggest burgers
- What is Donald Trump's favorite sport