Are fish afraid of snakes?
That is why the fear of spiders and snakes is normal
Is the fear of spiders and snakes innate? This is what scientists from the Max Planck Institute for Human Cognitive and Brain Sciences in Leipzig and the Swedish Uppsala University wanted to know - and have carried out an informative experiment.
Learned or innate?
The scientists divide this into two camps: Some believe that this fear has been learned - for example, copied from parents. Others think the fear of spiders and snakes is innate.
The researchers have now been able to substantiate this second thesis with an experiment - with six-month-old babies. The reason they chose subjects so young: Babies haven't seen that much.
The likelihood that a six-month-old baby picked up spider fear from someone else is very small.
Stress reaction in spider photos
The researchers showed the babies photos of spiders and snakes, but also of flowers and fish. All pictures were the same size, had the same color and were illuminated in the same way.
The scientists wanted to find out whether the babies react differently to the images. Indeed, they were afraid of the spider and snake photos.
The researchers were able to demonstrate a direct physiological fear reaction in the babies: They had enlarged pupils when they saw the images of spiders and snakes.
This suggests that a region in the brain was particularly active where norepinephrine is produced. And that causes stress. With the supposedly harmless flowers or fish, the babies did not have this reaction.
Afraid of spiders, but not afraid of bears
It is known from previous studies that babies do not associate images of rhinos, bears or other supposedly dangerous animals with fear.
The Leipzig researchers believe that the special fear of spiders or snakes is related to the fact that potentially dangerous reptiles and arachnids have coexisted with humans and their ancestors for 40 to 60 million years.
And thus significantly longer than with the mammals that are still dangerous to us today, which have not been around for so long. The reactions to spiders and reptiles such as snakes could therefore anchor themselves in the brain over a very long evolutionary period.
- What was the first TV show ever
- Which country is leaving ASEAN membership
- Pay foreigners taxes
- What is believe
- Do you do something with your life?
- Is graphic design a high paying job
- Why is society becoming more sensitive
- Why did TSR go out of business?
- How do you make money from home
- Are contractors for a company employees
- How has racial discrimination disguised itself
- What are demand factors
- When will you finally leave a narcissist?
- Is Swiggy better than Zomato
- Styes usually leave for the night
- Fornication is allowed in Judaism
- Why don't guys groan when they have sex
- How did Godfrey Gao get a beard
- Is the European economy bigger than the US economy
- What kind of discrimination is not illegal
- What is the best ISP in Los Angeles
- Which online newspapers have a paywall?
- Who actually controls the Maharashtra government?
- What exactly is a computer science degree