How many pieces are there in chess?
There are six different pieces in chess: king, queen, rook, knight, bishop and pawn.
Checkers and rooks are also referred to as heavy figures, jumpers and runners as light figures.
Diagram 1: The King
The king is the most important piece in the game. The object of the game is to “capture” him (mate).
He can only move one space at a time, but in any direction.
The king can be the only figure Not be beaten.
There is another special feature of the kings: they are never allowed to stand next to the opposing king.
In conjunction with the rook, a king can make a special move: castling.
Diagram 2: The lady
The queen is the strongest piece in the game. You can pull as far as you want in all directions. Any distance means until it hits your own or an opposing piece.
The queen unites the moves of the tower and bishop.
In most cases a queen is stronger than the rook and bishop combined.
Diagram 3: the tower
The rook can move horizontally and vertically until it hits its own or an opposing piece. He is the second strongest figure after the queen.
Diagram 4: The runner
The bishop may only move diagonally, but until he hits his own or an opposing piece. He is always set to one color. A white-squared bishop only moves on the white squares.
If a player has both the white and the black field bishop, one speaks of one Pair of runners. A pair of bishops is particularly strong in positions with few pawns.
The opposing king can be mated with a pair of bishops. This is not necessarily possible with two jumpers.
Diagram 5: The knight
The knight moves two squares horizontally or vertically and then one square to the left or right. The knight can only capture on the target squares marked with a dot. He jumps over the other squares, even if there are figures there. The knight changes the field color with each move.
Knights are particularly strong in positions where there are still many pieces on the board. You can attack characters that are holed up behind other characters.
Jumpers are relatively slow. You need up to six moves to enter another space.
Diagram 6: The farmer
The pawn is the only piece allowed to move forward. From his starting position two squares (the left pawn), otherwise one square (the right pawn). A pawn hits differently than he moves, namely at an angle. This is indicated by the crosses.
A special pawn move is called En Passant. This move is explained in the corresponding chapter.
A farmer also has a special strength, which is discussed in more detail in the conversion chapter.
The value of the chess pieces
The figures have a certain value, depending on their strength. This value is expressed in pawn units.
The queen is worth 9 pawns, that is, as much as a rook, a bishop and a pawn combined. A tower is worth as much as B. a knight and two pawns.
However, these calculations are only reference values in order to be able to estimate an exchange of figures. A jumper is z. B. have the greatest difficulty in stopping three pawns and a queen is in most cases inferior to three minor pieces (knight and bishop).
The board <- -> special trains
- Are the Singaporeans far superior to the mainland Chinese
- Are you bored of your life 1
- How many producers can a film have
- How does Mindvalley make money
- Why is GPS tracking used for vehicles
- Is poverty an inevitable by-product of capitalism
- What about Google employees are over 50
- What are the rounds of seed funding
- How are math and art connected?
- Is working in BPO useful
- What will Steve Nash be remembered for?
- Why are my classmates overly competitive
- Would you knowingly become someone's lover
- How many Australians currently live in New Zealand
- Can software testers work from home?
- All rock metal fans here
- How does quantum entanglement create space-time
- What is small town mentality
- What happens legally when you get married
- Duration restrictions would change the way the congress works
- How is Syndenham College in Mumbai doing
- Why shouldn't a company hire you
- I am 24 and live with my parents
- Which sura should you read before going to bed?
- Is the ISRO exam really difficult
- How to make Cuban coffee
- Which is better freelance or blogging
- Which kitchen is more tasty Pakistani or Iranian?
- What is a person culture
- What does the slang term Becky mean
- In which country are there no police?
- Prank calling is illegal in the US