Should I dip nutter butters in milk?
Making lye biscuits yourself is not that difficult. I think those who are born in Bavaria like me will absorb their love for pretzels and co. With their mother's milk 😉. Even if everything didn't go completely smoothly on the first try, I'm now a big fan of my homemade pretzels.
Even if pretzels are available at every petrol station, in every discounter and in the bakery for little money, nothing beats the homemade version! And that which is offered by many "bakers" as handicraft work and at the same prices is, in truth, unfortunately often just a baked-up frozen dough. So: get on the stove! The pretzel ingredients are really very basic; it is also a simple, salty yeast dough. Only the immersion in the lye, which leads to the typical color and a very special taste, is a bit tricky (more on that later). Out of my Pretzel recipe You can of course also form rolls, sticks or knots.
You can also play with the size of the pastry. For the two little lucky bakers, for example, I made cute-looking mini pretzels, tiny pretzel rings and sticks. Perfect for those little hands 😉. For the Pretzel recipe do you need soft butter; if you want the pastry to be vegan, just use margarine.
Pretzel recipe with or without caustic soda?
Who now directly Make lye biscuits yourself first of all, you have to make a decision: Do you use "real" caustic soda, which you may only get in the pharmacy and which you have to be careful with because it is corrosive? Or do you make the pretzels without caustic soda, but with household soda?
I always stick to the "safe" option, even if the pretzel is not quite stylish, stays lighter and does not have a special baking soda flavor. Because the pretzel shaping and baking process is a bit time-consuming, I usually make quite a large amount and then freeze some of it. So we always have “freshly baked” rolls and pretzels, and all that without any industrial dough pieces. Give it a try!
Note: I published this post for the first time in 2016 and last updated in 2021.
You can find this and all other recipes in our APP
For the dough
- 1/2 cube of fresh yeast is enough if you go overnight
- 150 milliliters water lukewarm
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 500 grams of wheat flour, best type 550; normal white flour is also possible
- 100MilliliterMilk blue warm
- 30 grams soft butter, or margarine
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 100 grams of baking soda, for example, Emperor Soda
- 1 liter of water
- For the pre-dough, first crumble the yeast in the lukewarm water and stir it with the sugar until the yeast has dissolved. Put the flour in a mixing bowl and make a large hollow with a spoon.
- Pour the yeast water into the well and stir with a spoon with a little flour from the edge. Let the pre-dough stand for about 10 minutes so that small bubbles form.
- Put the lukewarm milk in the bowl, along with the fat and salt. Mix everything briefly and then knead the dough with the dough hook for about 8-10 minutes. If you use unsalted butter or margarine, you can add a little more salt. Cover the bowl with a kitchen towel and let the yeast dough rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Shape the dough into normal sized pretzels, sticks or rolls, alternatively small minis. The amount makes about 20 pretzel minis or 12 normal pretzels. For pretzels, first form a really very thin roll that is roughly the length of a baking sheet and is thick in the middle and thinner and thinner at the ends. Place on the work surface, take hold of the ends, fold over each other and press a little on the side of the "belly" of the pretzels.
- Place the pretzel pastries on a baking tray lined with baking paper, spaced apart. Cover again and let rise in a warm place for about 15 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 220 degrees top and bottom heat.
- Pour the water into a large, flat top, bring to the boil and add the baking soda. Take off the stove. Dip the lye biscuits one after the other in the water with a ladle for about 15 seconds and place them back on the tray.
- Sprinkle the pastry with coarse pretzel salt and / or cut into it as desired. Bake for about 20 minutes; Lye minis only take about 15 minutes.
- What role does an employee play
- What products does Vietnam export to Europe
- At what age do people start dating
- What smells do people find disgusting?
- What is a rich folk vegetable
- Thais are proud of their cuisine
- Why are so many people leaving California
- Which cities are tier 3 cities
- How do I verify the benefits of my veterans
- What's the most amazing thing about you
- Startups in Mumbai hiring newcomers to IT
- What is a Parseltongue in Harry Potter
- Are boiled onions better for you
- Is multiple sclerosis fatal If so, why
- What does 100 income tax mean
- Those who remain look down on the Brexit voters
- Do we need really strict immigration laws
- Why did Pepsi have Dr. Bought Pepper
- Why are disabled people so friendly
- Greetings are easy or difficult
- What does God do most powerfully?
- Inflation is always bad
- What's a good salary in glasgow
- Cardi B is black
- What value do journalists have for society?
- Who will win Kakashi or the Raikage
- How do i become a serious person
- How was your school experience
- How does cost pressure inflation work
- Is it safe to live in Texas?
- Did your husband drink your breast milk?
- How do I advertise a beauty salon
- How are IPL players paid
- Why do stocks fluctuate